Saturday, April 15, 2017

日本 - 2017年

From previous posts you may have seen that we've taken some trips on about a 2-year schedule. However, unique circumstances combined in such a way that we had a window of opportunity to take a trip this year at a substantial discount.  So we did.  In March of this year Michelle and I returned to the country where I served as a missionary 36 years ago. We visited Japan.  That's right, 日本, the land of the rising sun. And what an amazing trip this turned out to be.  We decided on the trip in December, so we took the opportunity to let two friend who live in Japan know we were coming and we made arrangements to visit them while we were there.

The trip started on March 13 when we left from Albany, just ahead of the biggest snowstorm in probably 10 years.  We are thankful for good neighbors who plowed our driveway for us while we were gone!  Though we left early in the morning on the 13th, we didn't arrive in Tokyo until the afternoon of Tuesday the 14th, courtesy of the international date line. On arrival we picked up our Japan Rail passes (a must), some Tokyo subway passes (also strongly recommended), and two "Hakone free" passes, and headed off to our hotel. By the time we checked in it was starting to get dark, but we still had some time so we headed off to Shibuya to see the famous crossing there.

We had dinner, then headed back to the hotel, walking through the Ginza district on the way. In our hotel we had a "semi-double bed".  If you ever travel to Japan, know that they do not have the same bed sizes as in the USA.  A semi-double in Japan is somewhere between a twin and a double in the USA.  Suffice it to say, we were cozy.  But we were fine since we were there to experience the country and not hotel beds.

The next morning we were going to visit the Tokyo Temple, but first wanted to make some train reservations.  We stopped in the Tokyo station and made the reservations and then discovered Glen had lost his subway pass.  So after a sad detour for a new pass, we were on the train headed to the temple.  The temple is beautiful, but unlike many other temples, there are no temple grounds to speak of. Luckily, just across the street is a very nice park with a beautiful garden which makes up for it.

After a visit to the temple we went to the Meiji shrine and enjoyed touring around it a bit. Two temples in one day!

The Meiji shrine is just across the street from the famous Harajuku neighborhood. This neighborhood has two parts: one street has a lot of high-end shopping. However, the street that is popular with the young crowd is Takeshita street. This street is clogged with tweens, teens and young adults and stores targeting them. We passed one store that had an amazingly delicious smell coming from it and a line out the door.  So we got in that line and ended up buying eating a delicious thing that's hard to describe.  It was long, toasted, filled with custard and coated with something yummy.

That arrow pointing at my head does not mean I'm full of
soft-serve ice cream or that I cost 450 .

At the end of Takeshita street they have a video banner hanging over the street and in the photo here you can see us looking up at it.

Since we were not far from Shinjuku at that point we went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building because it has an observation floor that is free to visit.  We went up to that floor and got an amazing view of all of Tokyo, which is an enormous city.  We also got what would turn out to be our only view of Mt. Fuji.

The next day we visited the famous Tsukiji fish market and the neighborhood around it which sells all manner of seafood and got some good sushi for breakfast.
Nothing like sushi for breakfast!
Then we took a train to Daiba where we were booked on a cruise from Daiba to Asakusa on the Himiko river boat. The Himiko is a very unique boat and we got a nice view of Tokyo along the way. The most fun on the trip, though, was the group of elementary school children that was also on board. A small group of them gathered in a clutch near us and played rock-paper-scissors to see which one would have to approach us, but they finally did and asked us questions in English, which they were learning.  We answered in English a bit, but Glen answered in Japanese too, which surprised and entertained them greatly. A great time was had by all.
The Himiko
(see panorama below)

In Asakusa we had Tempura for lunch, because that's what you eat in Asakusa.  We then visited the Kaminari gate and the Senso-ji Buddhist shrine. The gate and the shrine are connected by a street called Nakamise-dori, which is jam-packed full of stores selling all manner of touristy trinkets and food. On this particular day there were also a number of young men and women wearing kimonos, which was beautiful to see.
Michelle touching the lantern in the 雷門

Since we weren't far away, we decided to make a stop in Akihabara, which is famous for electronics, video games and maid cafes.  We didn't stay long, because that kind of thing isn't really up our alley, but we did happen to see 4 or more go-carts go up the streets with their drivers dressed as different Mario-Kart characters.  That was fun.

We wrapped up the day and our first stay in Tokyo with a trip to Mori tower for another panoramic view of Tokyo from the Sky Deck.  The day was much colder than we had anticipated, so we were happy to get back to our warm hotel.

The next day was Friday and early in the morning we were up and boarding the Shinkansen for Hiroshima.  We got there in the early afternoon and found our AirBnB apartment.  This was a great place to stay.  After dropping our luggage off we met our friends, the Konos. We haven't seen them since about 1996 so it was great to see them again.  The Konos took us to a resort-like place where we enjoyed a walk in a beautiful garden and then an onsen (a public bath/hot tub). After the onsen we dressed in yukatas (because that's what you do after an onsen) and had a truly authentic multi-course Japanese meal at the Hotel Kamogawa.
The Brooksbys and Konos
Hiroe and Kiroki
Glen and Michelle
Wearing yukatas after the onsen.  It's what you do.
The next day we met the Konos again and went together to Miyajima.  By bus, ropeway and hiking we ascended to the top of Mt. Misen for a beautiful view of the inland sea. Coming back down we toured the town a bit eating various things along the way.

After leaving Miyajima our feet were very tired from all the walking an hiking so we made a brief stop at foot onsen.  Here we just bathed our feet and drank hot lemonade. It felt great. We ended the day with dinner at a very nice Italian restaurant on a hill overlooking Hiroshima.  It had a beautiful view.

On Sunday, Glen and Michelle went to church in the Hikari Ward in downtown Hiroshima.  No, we did not run into anyone Glen knew from long ago.  After church we met the Konos again and this time their son Takuto was with them. Takuto found a place for us to have Okonomiyaki for lunch.  Okonomiyaki is the thing to eat in Hiroshima and ours was delicious.

We next headed over to the site Hiroshima is most famous for, Peace Memorial Park.  This is the park near the epicenter of where the atomic bomb was dropped.  It is sobering to see man's inhumanity toward man so graphically on display. War is terrible and it makes people do things they would never normally do.

To wrap up our visit to Hiroshima, the Konos took us to a great tempura dinner.  It was sad to say good-bye to them since we know how hard it is to visit.  We'll just have to find other ways to stay in touch.

Monday morning we boarded the shinkansen again, this time for Kobe, where we met the Naganuma family.  Glen met Masahito in 1979, when he joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  They lost touch until about 2008, but then found each other again. It was great reunion after 36 years!  We spent Monday-Wednesday with the Naganumas and had a great time.  Monday we drove to Himeji Castle and toured it.

Naganumas and Brooksbys at Himeji Castle
Then Tuesday we had a great time at the Arima onsen, which is one of the best in Japan.  It was raining that day, so the combination of the cool rainy air while soaking in the hot bath was very enjoyable and relaxing.
In our yukatas after the onsen.
On Wednesday we drove to Kyoto and visite Kinkaku-ji, the Heian shrine, and Kiyomizu-dera.  Kiyomizu-dera was apparently the place to be on Wednesday because there were lots of people and a great number of women in traditional kimonos and even some men too.

At Kinkaku-ji
At the Heian-shrine
At Kiyomizu-dera

So many beautiful kimonos!

Kiyomizu-dera means Temple of pure water.  This is that water.

Wednesday evening we said our sad good-bye to the Naganumas as they went home and we checked into a hotel near the train station in Kyoto. The train station itself in Kyoto is worth a visit.  It's quite the place.

Because the Japan Rail pass made the trip free, we jumped on the train and made a brief run to the Fushimi-Inari shrine.  This is one of the iconic places you see when you see photos of Japan. The shrine has a path spanned by thousands of red Torii gates.  If you were to hike the whole thing it takes about 2 hours, which we did not have.  To be honest, once you've seen a hundred meters of it you kind of get the idea what the rest will look like. Thursday we got up and made another quick trip to Fushimi-Inari again so we could see it in the daylight.  After a stay of about an hour we headed back to the hotel to grab our bags and take the shinkansen to Hakone.

Fushimi-Inari, going uphill.

Fushimi-Inari, going downhill.
The writing on the Torri gates can only be seen going downhill.
 Hakone is a resort town, also famous for onsen, in the hills not far from Tokyo. Here we had booked a stay in a ryokan, or traditional Japanese accommodation in the small town of Gora.  The room had tatami mats and we slept in futons on the floor. This night was spent very much like Glen spent many months of his mission in Japan.  Despite forecasts to the contrary, the weather turned pretty cold while we were in Hakone.  This made things interesting because the place we were staying was so traditional it did not have central heat.  It did have a gas room heater, which worked well. But because it is gas, you can't leave it running all the time or you could run into carbon monoxide problems.  So before bed, we went to the onsen on the property. This onsen was so hot! You could barely stand to be in it. So, so hot!  After the onsen we were warmed up and we ran the heater to warm up the room, then got into bed.  Except for noisy neighbors, we slept fine, and in the morning heated the room back up again.

Our room in Gora (Hakone region).

In yukatas again, after the onsen.

Our futons!
Gora is on a steep hill and transportation up and down the hill is by a cable car. We took the cable car up the hill to Sounzan where we caught a bus to Owakudani. From there we took a ropeway down to lake Ashi and then a tour boat to the south end of the lake. Did I mention it turned cold while we were in Hakone? Well at this point in our trip it started snowing!  We knew it would be cold this day, so since we weren't prepared for snow, we just layered up. Glen wore 6 layers of clothing and Michelle wore 5.  We stayed warm enough, but it was a good thing we had all those layers.
Our sightseeing cruise ship.

The avenue of the cedars.
We took in some sights in that part of town and then reversed the whole process - Boat, ropeway, bus, cable car - back to our ryokan to pick up our bags. On our way back we stopped at Owakudani, which is a small area with sulfurous geysers.  They boil eggs in the geysers and it turns the egg shells black.  It's traditional to eat black, hard-geyser-boiled eggs there, so you know we did.
Black, geyser-boiled eggs anyone?
Finally we boarded various trains and made our way to our final night's stay in Tokyo. Saturday we only had half a day before we had to head to the airport. So we went to the imperial palace and got tickets for their morning tour.  It was fun to see the castle and imperial buildings up close.  By noon we were starting our trip back to the airport.

On the grounds at the Imperial Palace.
Visiting Japan was so much fun and such an enjoyable experience. We highly recommend it to anyone.  It is so different from other places you may visit in the USA or Europe.  But there are so many fun and interesting and unique things to do.

No comments: