Sunday, April 3, 2011

April Fool's Day Dinner

For the last few years I've tried to make surprising April Fool's Day dinners. This year was no exception. Because it was April Fool's we started with "dessert" first.

This is our "ice cream with caramel sauce" which was really mashed potatoes with pork gravy.

Glen returned from England today and brought back a Ribena Blackcurrant drink, so we're each having a little of it. Lauren didn't like it - but it's Brett's favorite.

Our "donut" is meatloaf cut to look like a donut with "pink frosting" made of mashed potatoes colored pink.


It was crazy trying to get everything on the table when both Lauren and Glen were around. Usually I have everything ready and on the table when Glen gets home from work. But because he had been out of town I'd gone to pick him up. So I have to do things when I got back home.

We also had "chicken nuggets" that were pieces of zucchini coated in bread crumbs and fried. I put them in a cute nugget holder.


And for our main course we had "spaghetti with meatballs, sauce, and Parmesan cheese". The "spaghetti" was really vanilla ice cream piped onto a plate using a frosting bag and tip. The "meatball"s were made from chocolate cake that you crumbled and then added frosting that had been microwaved so it was runny. You mixed it all together and then rolled it into balls, that you then covered with chocolate. The "sauce" is strawberry jam. And the "Parmesan cheese" is really grated white chocolate.

It was all yummy and fun! Happy April Fool's Day!

1 comment:

Doug & Charisse said...

Ah that kind of weirds me out! I don't know if I could handle it.